Monday, March 1, 2010

The U.S. and those other people

We in the U. S. seem to put very little importance on the fact of starvation because let’s face it, it doesn’t apply to the large majority of us so why should we? Most of us go day to day worrying about little things like how is my hair or should I wear these shoes today. The reality we live in compared to a large population in any third world country is going to be extremely different. According to productiondaily.com every U.S. household that celebrates thanksgiving trashes half of the food bought for the celebration. The amount of food we waste daily is as well astonishing. What we waste in a day could feed all the people starving in the world for one day according to commondreams.org.
If we consciously made an effort not to waste food and eat in instead of going out all the time we could easily put a cap on the amount of food waste we produce and we could have enough cash left over to support some of the thousands of organizations devoted to supporting starving people. Personally I’m no different from every other American. I love eating out and having a few beers every once in a while but just being conscious of the world around you at least makes a difference. The problem with us is that we are so stuck in our own life that’s not an option.

commondreams.org
productiondaily.com

1 comment:

  1. Yep I am definitely one of those people that is more interested in how my hair looks than what is going on half way around the world the majority of the time but it doesn't make me a bad person. I also think that the figure of almost 50% of Thanksgiving food is wasted is a little high. Speaking from personal experience I know that we end eating a lot of left overs for the next the few days after the holiday so in that respect I am doing my part for the world.

    ReplyDelete